Blackbrook Rugby

Blackbrook 18 Wigan St Cuthberts 22

Saturday 13 July 2019

Brook will be disappointed after a narrow defeat in this top of the table clash at Boardmans lane on Saturday.
There was some despondency about before the game with Brook missing a number of key players including key 9 Ian Honey but the replacements aquitted themselves well against table toppers St Cuthberts who had won well in the reverse fixture early in the season.
Defences were on top in the first 15 minutes whilst the packs battled it out for supremacy and Brook took the lead with a smart move from a scrum 20 metres out leaving winger Ben Legge space to get over the line with the ever dependable Aaron Hewitt adding the extra’s.
Brook had a couple of chances to increase the lead but handling errors ruined their chances.This seemed to give the visitors encouragement and searing breaks from the visitors were brilliantly halted by 60 yard chases from Lewis Gartland and Reece Jackson. Jackson never ceases to impress with his work in the second row.
But the visitors were turning the tide and just before half time tries from the impressive Barry Gregson and Lewis Molyneux gave the visitors a 10-6 half time lead. Simon Meehan converting Gregson’s try.
With all to play for it was important for Brook to not concede first in the second half however Centre Hunt squeezed over in the corner after a penalty gave ground to Cuthberts and Meehan added a superb touchline conversion to make it 16-6 to the visitors. Conceding three tries in 10 minutes would have finished most sides off but Brook came roaring back with some excellent play only to be pushed in to touch on three separate occasions close to the line. Perhaps a little more composure would have seen them over the line.
On 62 mins a fantastic break from full back Jordan Darwin lead to a try from Scott Davidson under the sticks. Darwin raced 70 yards turning defence into attack and Hewitt added the extra’s to make it 12-16.
On 73 minutes with the game in the balance Jordan Darwin pounced on a smart grubber kick and brought the scores level and Hewitt gave them the lead 18-16 following a third successful conversion.
Unfortunately handling errors in the gusty breeze gave possession back to the visitors and on 76 minutes Connor Williams the Visitors full back touched down in the corner and Meehan added a superb conversion from the touch line to make it 22-18.
Brook camped on the visitors line for the last 5 minutes of the game but could not find a way over to snatch the points.
It was a terrific match and a disrupted Brook side can count themselves unlucky to have lost a close encounter. A little more composure on attack would have seen them home and they probably have themselves to blame for just too many handling errors giving crucial possession to Wigan St Cuths who took advantage.
Some stand out performances for Brook from Jack Cottington, Reece Jackson and Liam Jackson and nothing to fear from Wigan St Cuthberts if they meet again later in the season.
On his debut Jack Cottington picked up both The Heatrek Man of the Match and The Tisdalls players Man of the Match with Reece Jackson and Jordan Darwin both in contention.